I recently was coaching a girl who absolutely loves her part-time gig. It’s a really part-time gig and it might be more appropriate to call it a passion project. Call it whatever you want but she freaking loves it and wishes it were her full-time job. This is where I come in. I am all about helping people rock what they love for a living.
You might be sitting there thinking she should just go for it. You wouldn’t be alone in that either. Of course that’s what I want her to do it. To just go for it! But, the truth is aside from the logistics there are often obstacles we put in our own way that keep us from doing what we love for a living.
- There are no short cuts! Stop trying to figure out a way to make something happen as quickly as it can and find that way to do it correctly. She has some of the education she needs to do her passion but not enough to make a living off of it. She could continue to do things the way she is but she will not get as far as she wants. At some point she is going to have to go back and do it the right way. That someday might as well be now.
- Money, time and other excuses: Sure doing something you want to do might take more money, more education, more time and more of something you think you don’t have. Realize that these are just excuses for why you are not doing what you need to be doing. It’s fear based too. You know what’s behind door number one. You are doing it. You may hate it but it’s safe. Door number 2 is full of unknown and fear of the ‘what if’s’. Ask yourself a bunch of “how” questions instead. How can I make this happen? How can I get the education I need? How….
- What if game: Instead of playing it with fear in mind play it with excitement. What if you did the things you needed to do to do the thing you want? What if it works out? What if you had all that you needed to rock your world? Isn’t that exciting?! Now, go back to your “how” game and ditch the excuses once and for all.
- Ask for help: Seriously, you are your own worst enemy. So, maybe asking yourself for advice on the matter is not the best thing. Ask someone who is doing the thing you want to be doing for advice. You may not like what you hear but at least you’ll have a better basis to go off of.
- Do the thing! Seriously, what is the worst that is going to happen? It doesn’t workout? Ok, at least you tried. But, I bet it does workout because its the thing you most want in life. It’s the thing that makes you happy. If it doesn’t workout that’s part of the journey too.
My client is busy putting the dates she needs to take off in 2017 in her calendar. She’s cutting back on her groceries and other bills that she can and she’s asking for some help from others. If she goes along with the plan in one year she’ll already be doing the thing she wants to do for a living! Time is already flying we might as well take advantage of it and get started today!